Monday 19 March 2012

Musing Monday (1)


This weeks Musing Monday Question is...
Would you choose to review a book if its description sounded interesting but the cover was terrible?
Quite simply, yes.

Before I was part of this whole 'online book-readers community', my main reason for picking up a book was based on three things; the title, the blurb and the cover. Obviously if the cover and name appealed to me I would be intrigued and I would read the blurb. The blurb was the main decider, if the blurb managed to really grab my attention then I would read the book. But even if I didn't really like the cover but I liked the blurb I would probably read the book.

Recently, since I''ve started reading again I have been using Goodreads, if I like the synopsis I will generally read the book, even if I don't like the cover. But another big one fore me is reviews and ratings, if lots of people have written good reviews or lots of people have given 4/5 star rating then I will probably read the book; there's obviously something good about the book and I wouldn't want to miss out on anything great. 

But obviously, a good cover will make the whole book reading experience just that little bit more enjoyable, especially if the cover portrays an aspect of the book that you discover only by reading the book, those little details. For example, i'm currently reading Delirium by Lauren Oliver (buddy review up soon) the cover of the book has silhouettes of birds which i guess you could say represent freedom in the book. well thats what i would say. 

You'll understand what i mean from the following quote:
“After a while, though, I would just walk. I liked to watch the birds. They would lift off from our side and soar over into the Wilds, as easily as anything. Back and forth, back and forth, lifting and curling through the air. I could watch them for hours at a time. Free: They were totally free. I’d thought that nothing and nobody was free in Portland, but I was wrong. There were always the birds.”
To see the weekly features i take part in and what they are all about click here

8 comments:

  1. Oh your good, I am not that good I can admit it LOL Here is mine!

    http://cabingoddess.com/2012/03/musing-mondays-march-19

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH and congrats on your first MM meme! I just started doing meme's and the best thing I have learned is to subscribe to the hostesses comments and then I get to go find new and fun blogs, like yours, to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, i really do appreciate it, plus you are the first person to comment on my blog so thank you so so much. :D

      Delete
  3. covers are way less important that the blurb..and with e-books the cover matter almost not at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i totally agree, i guess covers are just a bonus in that sense :)

      Delete
  4. Lol I wish I was like that. In a book store, I'm definitely a cover snob but for books that are recommended to me by word of mouth I also Goodreads to help me decide in reading it and less of the book cover. You can check out my MM here: http://agreatescapebookblog.blogspot.com/

    By the way, welcome to online community! I am recently new myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess all people are different, but I would understand if someone put a book down due to the cover, I just wouldn't want to miss out on a good book :)

      Delete
  5. Thank you to everyone that has commented, :)

    ReplyDelete